Rehabilitation allowance payment and taxation

Rehabilitation allowance is taxable income. Read more about its payment and check the monthly payment dates on our website.

Payment of the rehabilitation allowance

During vocational rehabilitation, we will pay you either a rehabilitation allowance or a cash rehabilitation benefit plus a 33-per-cent rehabilitation increment.

We always make a separate payment decision once we have approved your rehabilitation plan and your work trial or training, for example, has started. Read more about the rehabilitation allowance and the cash rehabilitation benefit and rehabilitation increment.

We also pay reimbursements for travel costs and, if necessary, housing costs. Students will additionally be paid an allowance intended to compensate for various costs arising from studies. Read more about the reimbursement of expenses during rehabilitation.

Rehabilitation allowance payment date

The rehabilitation allowance for the current month will be paid into your account on the first banking day of the month. You will receive the first instalment of your rehabilitation allowance once the decision on vocational rehabilitation has been made and your rehabilitation starts.

Payment dates in 2021

In 2021, the rehabilitation allowance will be paid into your account on the following days:



Submit to us

For the payment of the rehabilitation allowance, submit to us

  • the agreement you have filled in together with the employer when the work trial or job coaching starts
  • a study certificate, filled in by your school’s representative on our website when your studies start
  • apprenticeship training agreements and the form ‘Employer’s application for rehabilitation allowance’ when your apprenticeship training starts.

Also send us your tax card

The rehabilitation allowance is taxable income, so we also require your tax card. If we grant you a rehabilitation allowance, send us a tax card calculated for a social benefit. If we grant you a rehabilitation increment, send us a tax card calculated for a pension.

The preliminary decision on rehabilitation that you have received from us includes an estimate of the amount of your rehabilitation allowance. You can calculate your tax percentage based on it. When ordering a tax card, you should ask the tax authority to submit the information directly to Ilmarinen. That is the most convenient way and it ensures that your payments are up to date.

Send us a tax card also at the turn of the year. We do not receive your tax information automatically from the tax authority at the start of the year.

You can also send the tax card by post to the address Ilmarinen, PL 1, 00018 Ilmarinen or as a secure message on our website.

If we do not have your tax card

If you do not send us your tax card, we will withhold tax in accordance with the table below.

EUR / month Withholding %
5,10 - 780 20
780,01 - 1,230 25
1,230.01 - 1,680 30
1,680.01 - 2,340 35
2,340.01 - 2,760 40
2,760.01 - 3,960 45
3,690.01 -> 50

Once we receive your tax card, we will update the information and refund any excess tax paid into your account within approximately one week. We can only refund taxes in the year that we withheld them.

Check and change your tax information in our MyPension service

When your rehabilitation has begun and you have received the first payment from us, you can check your tax percentage in our MyPension service. You can also increase your tax percentage in our MyPension service, if necessary.

This is how you claim reimbursement of expenses

Claim reimbursements of expenses by logging in to our MyPension service and filling in the application for reimbursement of expenses. If you study, you do not need to claim the compensation paid to students separately; just send us your study certificate at the start of the autumn semester. The reimbursements of expenses are exempt from tax.