Applying for pension
When you wish to retire, apply for pension. You can apply for pension in various life situations. You can fill in an application in MyPension service. This page provides instructions on how to apply for different types of pension.
File an electronic application to get the decision faster
When you apply for pension in the MyPension service, we can process your application faster. Log in to the MyPension service with your Finnish online banking credentials or a mobile certificate.
We will do our best to ensure that you get the pension decision quickly. Please fill in the pension application with care and send us the necessary attachments to ensure fast processing. We often need information from your employer and sometimes from your treating physician. When we have received all of the information we require for making a pension decision we will read it carefully. After that, you will receive the pension decision.
Applying for different types of pension
1. Check your retirement age in the MyPension service
You can retire at the earliest at your lower retirement age. To find out your retirement age, use the MyPension service’s old-age pension calculator. The calculator also allows you to make pension estimates using different dates.
2. Terminate your employment relationship
When you know at what age you can retire on old-age pension, decide when you will retire. Agree with your employer on the termination of your employment relationship within the notice period. Your employment relationship must end at the latest on the day preceding the start of your pension.
If you have more than one employment relationship, terminate at least one of them.
3. Apply for pension
After having agreed on the termination of your employment relationship, apply to us for old-age pension. Apply for it about two weeks before you wish your retirement to start. You can fill in an application in MyPension service. The application will be available in the MyPension service at the earliest two months before the start of the pension.
You can use the same application to apply for earnings-related pension accrued on work in both the private and public sectors.
If you are also applying for Kela’s national pension and guarantee pension, indicate it in the application. In that case, we will submit the application to Kela on your behalf.
If you are not able to fill in the application in MyPension service, you can apply the pension by using a form.
4. If you are an entrepreneur and you apply for pension
File the pension application in the MyPension service in time, about one month before retiring, because if your entrepreneurial activity continues, you cannot apply for pension retroactively. When you apply for old-age pension as an entrepreneur and your YEL insurance is in force, your insurance will automatically end on the day preceding the start of the pension.
However, if you have already terminated your YEL insurance, you can receive the pension for a maximum of three months retroactively. You can continue your work as an entrepreneur while on the pension.
1. Apply for partial old-age pension
Indicate in the application whether you wish to start drawing your partial old-age pension at a rate of 25 or 50 per cent. You can estimate the amount of pension using the MyPension service’s pension calculator.
Apply for the pension about one month before you intend to retire. The application will be available in the MyPension service at the earliest two months before the start of the pension. Partial old-age pension cannot be applied for retroactively. If you wish to increase the percentage of your partial old-age pension at a later stage, contact our customer service using the MyPension service’s ’Lähetä viesti’ (Send a message) feature.
If you were born before 1958 and you have been unemployed for a long period, you may be granted old-age pension for the unemployed at the earliest at the age of 62. This requires that you are paid unemployment allowance for additional days.
1. Find out about your eligibility for additional days
Check with the payer of your allowance if you are eligible for additional days of unemployment allowance. Contact your unemployment fund or Kela.
2. Apply for old-age pension for the unemployed and send us a certificate of additional days
Apply for old-age pension for the unemployed in the MyPension service. File the application about one month before your pension can start. You will start receiving pension at the earliest as of the beginning of the month following the arrival of the application. Old-age pension for the unemployed cannot be granted retroactively.
Request a certificate from the payer of the allowance, stating that you have received unemployment allowance for additional days for the month preceding the month in which the pension starts. Take a high-quality photo of the certificate or scan it and send it to us using the MyPension service’s ’Lähetä viesti' (Send a message) feature.
Survivors’ pension helps you and your children when your spouse has passed away.
You can receive surviving spouse’s pension as of the beginning of the month following the death of your spouse. Your children can receive orphan’s pension as of the beginning of the month following the death of their parent.
File the survivors’ pension application despite your grief. The most convenient way to send the application to us is through the MyPension service. If you are also applying for Kela’s survivors' pension, indicate it in the application. In that case, we will submit the application to Kela on your behalf.
If you are applying for a pension for a child, you must fill in the orphan’s pension application. In the MyPension service, you can apply for pension for several children using the same orphan’s pension application form. If you do not have online banking credentials or are otherwise unable to use the MyPension service, send an application in paper format. In that case, fill in an application form for each child.
You can be granted survivors’ pension retroactively for a maximum of six months.
If you work during your retirement, you accrue new pension until you reach the upper old-age pension age. Apply for this new pension separately by filling in an old-age pension application. When you can apply for this new pension depends on your situation.
- If your employment relationship has begun after your retirement, apply for the new pension when you have reached your upper age for old-age pension.
- If you have several employment relationships and you retire on old-age pension only from some of them, apply for pension from the continuing employment relationship when it ends.
- If you work or have worked while drawing a disability pension, apply for the new pension when you have reached your old-age pension age and your employment relationship has ended. Your disability pension will be converted into old-age-pension without application, but you must fill in a separate old-age pension application to apply for the pension accrued on your work.
You retire on old-age pension and terminate your employment relationship. You continue to work for the same employer in a new employment relationship for a year. You will no longer work after that time.
- You accrued new pension for the year during which you worked and received pension. Apply for the new pension once you have reached your upper old-age pension age. File a new old-age pension application.
You have two continuing employment relationships, A and B. You retire on old-age pension from the employment relationship A, and your employment relationship ends. The employment relationship B continues while you are on the pension. You continue to work in the employment relationship B for a year.
- The old-age pension you receive does not include the pension accrued on the employment relationship B. Apply for the pension accrued on the employment relationship B when the employment relationship has ended. File a new old-age pension application.
You have two continuing employment relationships, A and B. You retire on old-age pension from the employment relationship A, and your employment relationship ends. The employment relationship B continues while you are on the pension. You continue to work in the employment relationship B for a year. After that, you conclude a new employment contract with the company C, for which you continue to work even after you have reached your upper old-age pension age.
- The old-age pension you receive does not include the pension accrued on the employment relationships B and C. Apply for the pension accrued on the employment relationship B by filing an old-age pension application when the employment relationship B ends. Apply for the new pension again for the employment relationship C once you have reached your upper old-age pension age. Fill in a new old-age pension application.
You retire on disability or partial disability pension and you continue working in an employment relationship while on the disability pension.
- Your disability pension will automatically convert into old-age pension at your lower old-age pension age. The disability pension you receive does not include the pension accrued from the employment relationship during your pension. Apply for the pension accrued during the pension by filing an old-age pension application when you have reached your lower old-age pension age and your employment relationship has ended.
Estimated processing times for pension applications
|Earnings-related pension you have applied for||Which application should you fill in?||When will you receive the pension decision?
|Old-age pension or partial old-age pension||Old-age pension application or partial old-age pension application||Within one week or at the latest before the pension begins|
|Survivors' pension||Survivors' pension application||Within one month|
|Disability pension or cash rehabilitation benefit||Disability pension application and Medical Satement B||Within 1-2 months|
|Extension to the cash rehabilitation benefit||Application for an extension to the cash rehabilitation benefit in the MyPension service and Medical Statement B||Within one month|
|Years-of-service pension||Years-of-service pension application, medical statement B and account of work||Within 1-2 months|
If your work ability has weakened and impedes your work, vocational rehabilitation may be the primary option for you. Its objective is to allow you to continue at your work or return to work after sick leave. You can apply for vocational rehabilitation in our MyPension service.Read more about applying for vocational rehabilitation