Sponsorship and donations
Sponsorships and various partnerships are part of Ilmarinen's marketing communications. Sponsorship is the purchase of the image of an individual, group, event or some other activity for predetermined marketing communications needs. Partnerships can also relate to, for instance, joint development or joint communication efforts. Such partnerships aim to create the right kind of associations with Ilmarinen.
Ilmarinen’s sponsorship goals are
- Promoting strategic targets: Sponsorships and partnerships are always based on Ilmarinen's strategic targets.
- Reinforcing the brand: Sponsorships should help build Ilmarinen's desired brand image.
- Reaching the right target groups: Sponsorships and partnerships cover Ilmarinen's priority target groups and give Ilmarinen a presence in their day-to-day lives
- The activities should be honest and in accordance with the law and good business practices.
- Sponsorships should be generally accepted and must not be misleading.
- Partnerships and sponsorships must comply with Ilmarinen's business and procurement principles.
- Partnerships should be based on fairness and trust between all the parties and on mutually agreed-on responsibilities.
- In situations involving the participation of several parties, we make sure that their interests are aligned appropriately.
Ilmarinen’s sponsored parties and partners are evaluated according to four criteria
- They must be aligned with Ilmarinen’s strategy and brand.
- They must have contact with Ilmarinen’s key target groups.
- The co-operation brings broader benefits to Ilmarinen’s operations.
- They bring measurable visibility.
Ilmarinen’s sponsorships focus on
- Long-term partnerships in particular.
- A few main partners (less than 10) with whom co-operation is carried out as effectively and as targeted as possible.
Ilmarinen does not sponsor targets or projects that
- Offer nothing more than logo visibility.
- Involve other companies from the same sector.
- Focus on a political party or candidate (or are linked to a body such as parties’ sub-organisations).
Ilmarinen does not participate in telephone campaigns or other chain campaigns.
Ilmarinen always signs a written agreement with the sponsored entity. Legal aspects must be taken into consideration when assessing the object of the agreement, in negotiations and when drawing up the agreement.
The agreement must specify the parties to the agreement, the sponsored entity, sponsored amount, the considerations given to the sponsor and a time limit on the validity of the agreement. The contents of the sponsorship co-operation and any future changes must be made clear in their entirety in the agreement.
In 2017 Ilmarinen sponsored the following
- The Finnish Association for Human Resources Management - HENRY
- Sonera Stadium
- Suomen Tennisliitto (FinnishTennisfederation)
- Badminton Finland
- The Central Union for the Welfare of the Aged
- Future Board
- NewCo Helsinki
Ilmarinen’s Annual General Meeting approves the funds used for donations each year. In recent years this amount has been EUR 50,000.
Donations are always gratuitous and given to purposes of general interest (general interest, in this case, means politically and religiously independent, non-profit organisations or organisations established to support science, art or culture).
The President and CEO decides on donations and they are reported to the Board of Directors annually.
In 2017 Ilmarinen granted donations to the following recipients
- Suomen Punainen Risti
- Rett ry
- SOS Lapsikylä
- Hyvä Joulumieli -keräys
- Maanpuolustuskiltojen säätiö
- Irti Huumeista ry
- Pelastakaa Lapset ry
- WAU ry
- Helsingin Diakonissalaitos
- Psykiatrian tutkimussäätiö
- Tampereen yliopiston Johtamiskorkeakoulun tutkimushanke
Supporting political parties
Ilmarinen does not offer financial support to political parties or make art or other purchases from them.