Insuring an employee coming to Finland from abroad
Your employee’s pension cover is your responsibility also when you hire an employee from abroad to work in Finland. This applies to both Finnish and foreign employers.
Take care of the pension cover of your employee coming from abroad
If your employee comes to Finland from abroad, you should usually take care of his or her pension cover in accordance with Finnish legislation.
Your employee will be covered by Finnish earnings-related pension insurance from the very beginning of his or her employment, if he or she works directly for a Finnish employer and concludes an employment contract with a Finnish employer.
What country will your employee arrive from?
EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden. (The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020.)
Great Britain departing from the EU affects how work abroad is insured. The new Trade and Cooperation Agreement between the Great Britain and EU came into force on 1 January 2021. Read more on Finnish Centre for Pensions' website (etk.fi).
EEA countries: Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.
Social security agreement countries: Australia, Canada, Chile, China, India, Israel, Korea, the Province of Quebec and the USA.
If you represent a foreign employer and you post your employee to Finland, you do not need to arrange your employee’s pension cover in Finland if he or she works in Finland for a maximum of two years and the pension cover has been arranged in the country of origin.
However, you should arrange his or her pension cover in accordance with Finnish legislation if
- it is required by the social security agreement between your country and Finland or the EU’s social security regulation.
- your employee was covered by the Finnish social security system immediately before starting working in Finland.
- the posting of a worker posted to Finland or transferring to Finland within the company lasts more than two years.
As a foreign employer, you may be eligible for an exemption from arranging pension cover for a maximum of five years if
- you post your employee to work in Finland for more than two years
- you have posted your employee to work in Finland for less than two years but the work continues more than two years for unpredictable reasons
- you have arranged pension cover for your posted employee in some other way for the duration of the work carried out in Finland.